I have made these gorgeous lumbar pillows from West African mud cloth. These textile are traditionally made from fermented mud and originate from the ethnic groups of Mali in Western Africa.
The cloths are also known as Bògòlanfini or Bogolan and were often worn by warriors as a form of camouflage. Women also were these fine hand crafted textiles.
These traditional African organic textiles are firstly made with strips of hand woven locally grown cotton- 100% organic.
The strips are naturally dyed with mud, often river mud which is fermented with maize and soaked in the sun. After they are soaked in the sun they may be dyed again depending on the depth of color desired.
After the natural dyeing process the individual strips are then hand stitched together.
Geometric and abstract motives are painted onto the cloth which is then soaked in the sun again before the residue is washed off. The symbolic motives painted onto the hand spun cotton strips depict stories of every day life, culture, African proverbs and can indicate wealth and status.
These pieces can take weeks to create and no two pieces are the same. How gorgeous!!
I've trimmed the pillows with a lovely cream colored tassel trim and backed them with a delicious hemp cotton. Everything is so super soft and an absolute treat to handle!
These chic lumbar cushions are the perfect home accessory in a bohemian home interior. They can be mixed in with other colors and textures on a sofa or day bed or as an eye catching accent in a simple modern interior placed on a bed or occasional chair.
Designed and handmade by Casa Karima.
When buying a Casa Karima creation you're buying something truly unique. Each piece is one of a kind; made with love.
- Size- H30 x W50cm / 12" x 20"
- This listing is for the COVER ONLY
- Hidden zip at the base
- DRY CLEAN ONLY
- Avoid placing in an area with strong, consistent direct sunlight.
- The color may appear to vary on different monitors. I've tried to capture the color and lighting as accurately as possible.
★ CUSTOMIZATION AVAILABLE!!
- I have many great fabrics and can customize other items for you, cushions, wall hangings, bags etc. in a variety of sizes. Message me and we can chat!!
- This item is shipped for FREE with Thai Post recorded delivery, airmail which takes approx. 2 weeks excluding customs clearance.
UPGRADE TO DHL FOR JUST US$12
Express takes 4-5 days to reach its destination after pick up, excluding any delays at customs (I have not experienced customs delays with DHL up to now)
- UPGRADE RESTRICTIONS PLEASE NOTE- Shipments to remote locations may incur increased shipping fees from DHL (such as inner regions of Canada, Central Australia etc.). If so I will inform you before sending and we can discuss whether to go ahead.
If you would like to double check before ordering just send me a message, thank you.
- Through my website you can pay by PayPal which will also give you the option to pay by credit card through Paypal.
- I can also accept international bank transfers. Contact me for bank details.
- Cash and collection is available from my store in Pai, Thailand- Casa Karima
FB and IG- @casakarima
Feel from to message me with any questions.