I recently unlocked a treasure chest full of the most incredible, rare, vintage Hmong textiles including this exquisite roll of Black Hmong organic Indigo dyed batik.
These panels are created with extremely laborious traditional techniques and artisan skills that are almost forgotten arts.
Firstly the organic hemp fabric is created from the harvested hemp plant. Through a serious of steps the fibers are gathered then hand spun and hand woven.
The indigo is extracted from the leaves of Indigofera plants to make the indigo powder.
Traditionally the females from the Black Hmong ethnic group from the mountains of Northern Vietnam will then hand paint their beautiful symbolic patterns onto the hemp fabric with wax.
When the pattern is complete the pieces are dipped into the organic indigo which is mixed with very cold water to helps the indigo colour fix deeply into the hemp fibers. This is repeated multiple times to achieve the desired shade of blue.
After soaking in the dye the pieces are boiled to remove the wax from the fabric revealing the stunning, contrasting blue and white pattern. Again a process that is repeated multiple times.
Eventually after all these steps and several weeks of preparation these amazing works of art are created and traditionally used for clothing.
The Hmong believe that when they die they must be buried in 100% organic hemp or cotton so that they are returned naturally to the soil and to the earth.
These days it is easy to find replicas of these textiles which are made in a more cost effective and less time consuming manner by block printing onto cotton. The printed cotton still looks great as a cheaper alternative but nothing can compare to the original creations. In my opinion they are textile masterpieces!
- Size - L5.2mts x W0.34mts / L5.7 yards
- Sold as on full piece
- On both ends of the roll there is a small edge of 25cm without any batik pattern.
- Please expect some imperfections. These imperfections are the heart, soul and history of these old and rare textiles. They are strikingly beautiful just as they are!
- Spot clean or gently hand wash with very cold water only. The indigo colour may bleed.
- Colors may differ slightly depending on display devices/monitors.
💙 CUSTOMISATION IS AVAILABLE - Please PM me if you would like me to custom create something especially for you using this one of a kind textile.
- This item is shipped with Thai Post recorded delivery, airmail which takes approx. 2 weeks excluding customs clearance.
- If you need faster shipping please message me to discuss the additional charges for DHL Express
- If you pick any other items with shipping fees but feel the items/price can be consolidated please message me and we will see what we can do to reduce the price.
- Through my website you can pay by PayPal credit of credit card through Paypal.
- If you wish to pay by credit card without using PayPal you will find this listing on my Etsy store- www.etsy.com/shop/CasaKarima
- I can also accept international bank transfers. Contact me for bank details.
- Cash and collection is available from my store in Pai, Thailand.
FB and IG- @casakarima
Feel from to message me with any questions.