Vintage Phulkari Punjabi Embroidered Tapestry Wall Hanging - FREE SHIPPING
Sometimes you find something completely irresistible and this was for sure one of those occasions when I found this vintage embroidery.
I assumed it was from India or nearby the north of India but I had to spend hours researching to pin point the actual place of origin then voilà.. jack pot!! I was fascinated with what I found!
This stunning piece is known as Phulkari- folk embroidery of the Punjab. Phulkari translates specifically as floral work, however the designs can also include animals, birds, geometric patterns and other motives that symbolise nature and every day rural life.
These stunning textiles are often created by a group of women working together to prepare gifts for ceremonial events such as weddings.
The silk floss is embroidered into an inexpensive cotton cloth known as a khaddar. There are differing technics around the region and this piece I believe is from the area of West Punjab (Pakistan).
This piece has been made in smaller strips and sections, then sewn together after the embroidery work is completed. Because of this there were a many tiers and a lot hand sewing repair work was needed to salvage this beauty and give it a new lease of life.
The restoration also required cutting away the embroidered outer edge and backing the full piece with a solid black cotton to tidy everything up and make it pretty again.
I've added black cotton pole tabs to the top so it can be hung easily and admired as the art that it is!
The final Casa Karima touch.... of course- a tassel, which I've embellished with beads selected to compliment the rich colours of the embroidery.
This is a vintage treasure that I've discovered and restored but it is by no means in perfect condition. Please expect some loose threads and imperfections. These imperfections are the heart, soul and history of these old and rare textiles which are strikingly beautiful just as they are!
- Size- W60 x H167 (including the tabs H8cm and tassel H14cm)
- This listing is for the textile wall hanging only. POLE NOT INCLUDED.
- Spot clean only
- Colors may differ slightly depending on display devices/monitors
- This item is shipped for FREE with Thai Post recorded delivery, airmail which takes approx. 2 weeks excluding customs clearance.
- If you need faster shipping please message me to discuss the additional charges.
- If you pick any other items with shipping fees but feel the items/price can be consolidated please message me and we will see what we can do to reduce the price.
- Through my website you can pay by PayPal which will also give you the option to pay by credit card through Paypal.
- If you wish to pay by credit card without using PayPal you will find this listing on my Etsy store- www.etsy.com/shop/CasaKarima
- I can also accept international bank transfers. Contact me for bank details.
- Cash and collection is available from my store in Pai, Thailand- Casa Karima
💛CUSTOMISATION IS AVAILABLE
- PM me to see what other similar textiles I have available for custom size/designs.
FB and IG- @casakarima
Feel from to message me with any questions.